My name is Topaz and I like hearing my self type.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What do YOU mean by Possible?

So last wednesday (oh look it's been a week) i was leaving the super awesome (read crappy) warehouse where we practice for Derby. It's located in a lovely (read shit hole) neighborhood. So anyhow. I'm leaving... i drive by the usually vacated corner. On this corner is a dilapidated building behind a fence which also houses a vacant growing over parking lot. SO imagine my surprise when a bunch of giant men are standing around this fence looking into the vacant lot (at 10pm pitch black out)... and i hear angry barking/growling dogs.... SO i'm pretty certain this is a dog fight happening before my very eyes.

Clearly i'm no genius (i mean you have been reading long enough to grasp that) but it's 10pm at night... there is nothing behind that fence normally but a dilapidated building and it's tiny parking lot, SO WHY would these men be staring into said dilapidated building and it's tiny vacant parking lot? and WHY would there be angry barking/growling dog noises but no dogs in sight?

So 1st i call Lucky b/c i'm freaked out. She tells me to call the police. I agree. SO i call 911. This is what happens:

Dispatcher: Hello what is the emergency?
Me: I would like to report a possible dog fight happening, near (i say location).
D: What do YOU mean by POSSIBLE?
Me: Well you see there are bunch of men standing around a fence that leads to a vacant lot and there were angry dogs barking/growling. And i didn't get out of my car to investigate it further nor did i feel like i should. So i believe a dog fight is happening.
D: Ok (sounds a combination of pissed off and bored of the conversation) I'll send someone by to look.
Me: about to say ok thank you but i hear the CLICK of the Dispatcher having just hung up on me.

So i'm not well versed in the calling of 911 but this last year i have had to do so twice and both times I was in the Philadelphia area and both times the dispatcher acted like i was just another loony calling in my delusions b/c i forgot to take my meds for 3 days.

I get it... a dog fight doesn't out trump a human gun fight. But was i wrong for calling it in (comments welcome from you hourglass or anyone)? Should i have gotten out of my car and investigated it? (me vs 6-8 big giant men in the city at 10 pm)

I guess maybe next time i shouldn't use the word "possible."

No comments:

 

fentanyl